One of the most important elements of a truly memorable wedding reception is your choice of entertainment. While a live band is always a great option, it might not be possible due to space or budget restrictions. More often than not, you will find that a DJ really fits the bill.
The difficult part is finding the one who will take your vision of what you want your reception to be, and run with it. We’ve all been to that wedding where the DJ stumbles through the introduction of the bridal party, plays the dinner music too loudly or simply fails to get the crowd up and dancing. None of these scenarios should be associated with your wedding reception!
Choosing the right DJ for your event needs to be approached as a job interview because that’s exactly what it is. You are hiring this person (or company) to be a part of one of the most important days of your life. If possible, ask your wedding coordinator, friends and family for recommendations. This could help to weed out less desirable options and bring the best to the forefront.
When meeting with prospective candidates, be sure to have a list of questions prepared:
- How many hours are included with the quoted price?
- What is the required time frame for setup of your event?
- Is there an extra charge for setup if your cocktail hour takes place in a separate area?
- Will the DJ have an assistant or will your event coordinator be needed to help with lining up the wedding party for introductions?
- Can you request particular songs and the order in which they are played throughout the evening?
- Will the DJ honor requests from your guests?
- Finally, ask the DJ if he or she has audio or video samples of their work. You want to know what the DJ booth will look like and you should hear him or her announcing a bridal party to be sure it sounds polished and professional.
While this process does take up a bit of time, it will all be worth it in the end. Hearing yourselves announced as Mr. and Mrs. for the first time is a once in a lifetime moment and your DJ is the key!